Section 73 FAQs

Im planning to build, develop or subdivide do I need a Sydney Water Section 73 Certificate?

You may need a Section 73 Certificate if your development or subdivision will impact on Sydney Water’s systems. This can include:

  • creating a dual occupance
  • subdividing land, or
  • constructing a residential, commercial or industrial building.

You do not need a Section 73 Certificate if you are constructing a house which is replacing an existing dwelling or altering/extending a house (but you should get your building plans checked and stamped at a Sydney Water office).